This Inside Higher Ed article explains that many people who find networking unpleasant often express feelings that these interactions are inauthentic. The author draws on models of positive communication to describe six actions to add to interpersonal interactions to foster authentic career conversations. Summary points include:
- Greeting creates human contact.
- Asking discovers the unknown.
- Complimenting affects the self.
- Disclosing deepens relationships.
- Encouraging gives support.
- Listening transcends differences.
Read more here.