Stay Updated via Social Media
- Follow BGS on Twitter
- Career Development Blog
- Career Development Twitter
- BGS Alumni & Current Students LinkedIn
Follow these Calendars for Upcoming Events!
Check out the BGS Career Path Alumni Videos
Penn Career Services
Penn Career Services subscribes to a wide variety of digital resources that students may access and offers appointments with career advisors through Handshake. These include the option for same-day, 15-minute appointments with a career adviser. New appointment times open up every day at 9:15 AM ET. To schedule an appointment, sign in to Handshake and click the “Career Center” tab near the top right corner.
Be sure to customize your email settings in Handshake to receive a weekly newsletter featuring jobs and resources tailored to you! Detailed instructions on how to do so are available here.
Please see a couple of resources below for new PhD students and Master’s students that introduce some of Career Services resources:
- You can find our 10 ways that Master’s can use Career Services handout here: https://careerservices.upenn.edu/resources/10-ways-to-use-career-services-as-a-masters-student/
- And a brief alternative version of this for Master’s in video format here: https://youtu.be/2TJV-qF2geY
- PhD handout: https://careerservices.upenn.edu/resources/10-ways-to-use-career-services-as-a-phd-postdoc/
- PhD video: https://youtu.be/i0mnf24p9U8
**SAVE THE DATE – The virtual Biosciences & Research Career Fair hosted by Penn Career Services will take place Thursday, October 7, 2021 from 12 – 5 PM. Registration information coming soon.
Office of Software Licensing – MATLAB Licenses
Matlab is free for all Penn students through the Office of Software Licensing. You should email email@example.com your HostID, operating system, and computer user name. Instructions on how to find this information are available here.
Instructions for downloading Microsoft Office O365 for BGS Students
OfficeO365 is available to download at no cost through your PennMedicine webmail O365 account:
Go to the online PennMedicine mail server via: https://provider.www.upenn.edu/computing/webmail/index.php
Once in your webmail account, click on the nine dots in the top left corner, then click on “Office 365”. Then on the next page, click on ‘Install Office’ in the top right hand corner and follow the instructions.
Perelman School of Medicine – NYAS Membership
As a member of the PSOM, BGS students are entitled to use this membership. Please use the enrollment link to join.
Penn Libraries Resources and Support
This guide: https://guides.library.upenn.edu/BGSOrientation has been created to help you find the resources and support you’ll need at Penn Libraries and across campus. The guide will lead you to technology and people to support your research and learning needs.
The Penn Libraries provide access to a Virtual Computer Lab (vLab) for students to access software applications normally accessible in Library computer labs. Additional information about software available in Penn’s Libraries is available here.
See a full list of BGS-specific organizations, university-wide student groups with active BGS members, and group-specific organizations for peer support, career and professional development, and/or community outreach and engagement.
Other Penn Resources
- Graduate Student Center
- Visit the Grad Center website and check out their extensive list of remote resources and activities. Make sure to sign up for their weekly newsletter to learn about upcoming programs and events!
- Family Center at Penn
- The Family Center provides a forum for student parents to connect and develop supportive networks, and offers a welcoming and family-friendly environment for Penn students, post-docs, caregivers, and children.