McNeill Baur PLLC (www.mcneillbaur.com) are seeking a Technology Specialist with superior verbal and written skills and a PhD in Biology or Biochemistry from a superior institution. The Technical Specialist will provide scientific support to patent attorneys working on patent prosecution and counseling projects. Prior experience with patent law is not required as the position offers substantive training and career advancement opportunities in patent law.
- advising attorneys based on technical or scientific area of expertise,
- drafting patent applications, including examples, descriptions of figures, claims, and detailed descriptions of inventions,
- preparing draft responses to office actions and other prosecution filings,
- performing technical analysis of commercial products, scientific literature, and patent documents for freedom-to-operate, invalidity, and noninfringement opinions, and
- performing research to support review of technology and patent portfolios that clients may acquire or license.
Technical specialists at McNeill Baur are given the opportunity for significant responsibility early in their career, which provides meaningful career development towards a career as a patent agent. Technical specialists and patent agents typically work one-on-one with associates, counsel, and partners while gaining experience in a broad range of patent strategy, drafting, prosecution, and diligence matters.
A successful candidate will be expected to take and pass the USPTO registration exam within a year of being hired. The firm will pay for a USPTO registration exam review course to supplement on the job training with the firm’s attorneys on client matters.
We will consider candidates for both part-time and full-time positions, residing in the city of your choice. We also welcome on-ramp candidates who want to return to the workforce. The firm offers health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, EAP program, a competitive salary, and a 401K plan with generous matching component.
Please submit resume, cover letter, salary requirements, desired schedule, and writing samples to email@example.com.